Editor, Scholastic Science World Magazine
Full Time, New York, NY
Candidates must have an interest in creating an engaging teaching tool that delivers late-breaking science news to teens, describes complex concepts in simple terms, and excites students about science.
• Responsible for 14 issues per year of Scholastic Science World, a classroom science magazine for students in grades 6 to 10. Issues range from 16 to 24 pages in length.
• Responsible for an 8-page teacher’s edition that accompanies each issue. The teacher’s edition includes brief lesson plans and skills sheets.
• Develop and maintain relationship with teachers through classroom visits, attendance at the annual National Science Teachers Association convention, and surveys.
• Using teacher/subscriber feedback, develop a yearlong editorial calendar that meets the needs of science teachers and is appealing to teens.
• Responsible for assigning articles to editorial staff and freelancers, and editing all copy for the magazine.
• Responsible for working with the art director to create accurate diagrams that break down tough science concepts into digestible nuggets of information.
• Manage an editorial staff of two.
• Must meet all internal deadlines.
• Must stay within allotted budget.
• Design and analyze two subscriber surveys per year and adjust magazine content to meet subscriber needs.
• Attend annual National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) meetings.
• Bachelor’s degree in science
• Five or more years of editorial experience, preferably in children’s writing.
• Must have a love of science.
• Middle school/high school science teaching experience a plus.
• Must be able to multitask and meet overlapping magazine deadlines.
• Knowledge of national science education standards.
• Must be a team player that can work closely with art director, photo editor, editorial staff, freelance writers, and marketing manager.
• Proficiency in Word; In Design helpful.
Note: Please include salary requirements in your cover letter.
To apply, contact:
Patricia Janes, Executive Editor
New York, NY 10012