RSVP and Pay Less Now to Reserve Your Spot at the Event of the Season!
UPDATE: Scroll down for a list of door prizes!
Mix and mingle with friends and colleagues as we celebrate the birthday (February 6, 1913) of Mary D. Leakey, one of the world’s most distinguished fossil hunters. And in honor of this event, our hosts at 24 Prince Restaurant have whipped up a special drink for the paleontologist in all of us: The Leakey Fossil!
We’ve got a great evening in store, so don’t miss it!
Everyone is welcome (even if you are not a science writer)!
RSVP now and take advantage of reduced rates. Admission is higher if you wait to pay at the door. And if you’re not a SWINY member, join now and pay the members’ rate for the party!
The restaurant is located on Prince Street between Mott & Elizabeth in lively NoLita. (That’s north of Little Italy, between SoHo and the Lower East Side.) The F/V, R/W and 6 Subway lines are just a few blocks away.
WHAT: SWINY’s Annual Winter Party: Celebrating Mary D. Leakey, Fossil Hunter
WHEN: Wednesday, February 24, 6:00 – 9:00 PM
WHERE: 24 Prince Restaurant (Prince Street between Mott & Elizabeth Streets)
Costs (includes all food and first beverage):
- 2010 Paid Members: $20 in advance/$25 at the door
- Nonmembers: $30 in advance/$35 at the door
- Students: $15 in advance/$20 at the door
Join/renew your 2010 annual membership ($20.00) by PayPal or check and pay the Members’ rate for the party.
Click here to RSVP before Monday, Feb. 22, and indicate your method of payment:
- Pay with PayPal
$20 (2010 dues-paid SWINY members) $30 (Nonmembers)
$40 (Become a member today and pay the members’ rate for the party)
- Send check (payable to Science Writers in New York) by mail to:
Science Writers in New York
51 MacDougal Street, Suite 304
New York, NY 10012
UPDATE: Door prizes galore!
From The Evolution Store in SoHO:
- 1 trilobite
- 2 tiny ammonite cross-sections (nautilus forerunner)
- 1 huge complete ammonite
- 1 neolithic tool (one end is for chopping, the other for pounding)
- 1 piece of petrified wood
- 4 t-shirts
- 4 tote bags
From SWINY Membership Coordinator Peggy Crane:
- Two copies of the CD “Throw Down Your Heart,” featuring Bela Fleck (the great banjo player) and a variety of top-notch musicians from Tanzania, Mali, and Ghana
- Three autographed copies of “The Leakeys: A Biography” by Mary Bowman-Kruhm, a young adult book just released in paperback.
- Three autographed copies of “Kiss My Math” by Danica McKellar
- Three autographed copies of “Math Doesn’t Suck” by Danica McKellar
From award-winning Science Writer Carl Zimmer:
- One copy of his latest book, “The Tangled Bank: An Introduction to Evolution,” the first textbook about evolution intended for the general reader.
From SWINY member Brian Regal:
- One copy of his book, “Pseudoscience: A Critical Encyclopedia“
From SWINY member Lisa Nocks:
- One copy of her book, “The Robot: The Life Story of A Technology“
From SWINY Board member Ken Kostel:
- Copies of “State of the Wild 2010“
From Science Friday host Ira Flatow:
- Two autographed copies of his book “Present at the Future: From Evolution to Nanotechnology, Candid and Controversial Conversations on Science and Nature“‘
From the American Museum of Natural History:
- Five pairs of tickets, good for free admission to the Museum during the month of March