Associate Director, Research Communications, The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research
Full time, New York, NY (Financial District)
Reporting to the Director, Marketing and Communications, the Associate Director, Research Communications develops, executes and manages strategic media relations and integrated marketing campaigns in support of MJFF funded research initiatives. S/he will be responsible for developing and implementing communications programs which heighten awareness of Foundation funded academic and industry research initiatives. The position will also collaborate with academic and industry partners in order to co-promote clinical advances in Parkinson’s research and connect findings to the broader Parkinson’s and central nervous system discovery and drug development landscape.
We are looking for a seasoned marketing communications professional with strong critical thinking skills and an understanding of/appreciation for health sciences and/or biomedical research to join our dynamic team. S/he must be comfortable working in a results-oriented, goal and deadline driven environment and a collaborative, consensus building culture.
– Serve as strategic communications counsel, advising research team and grantees on how to best maximize the Foundation’s communications resources (i.e. media relations, web, etc.) to build program and overall brand awareness.
– Develop and execute short- and long-term marketing communications plans aligned with internal research team stakeholder objectives and industry partner program objectives.
– Work with agency to proactively develop and pitch stories that generate positive media coverage in high profile national consumer business and trade publications as well as broadcast outlets and across the web.
– Develop and pitch targeted stories that help drive program awareness and broader trend stories tied to major breakthroughs and issues.
– Write web stories.
– Respond to incoming media calls, focusing on strategic placement of interviews with MJFF experts.
– Build, engage and nurture strong relationships with top tier business media, print and broadcast contacts as well as online journalists and bloggers; promote news through social media.
Qualifications and Experience Needed:
– B.A. degree and a minimum of 5-7 years experience in business marketing communications and PR, preferably within the biotech or pharma industry.
– Integrated marketing communications or agency experience a plus.
– Strong writing skills.
– Ability to take complex scientific concepts and translate them into compelling news stories or pitches.
– Ability to connect research findings with the Foundation’s mission and put in the context of the larger Parkinson’s landscape.
– Experience developing and executing communications strategies and plans that are aligned with business objectives.
– Strong established network of high profile local, regional and national business news, health and consumer media contacts.
– Experience using blogs and social media as a distribution channel for the promotion of news.
– Ability to work with people at all levels; diplomatic personality.
– Sense of humor and ability to remain calm and professional under pressure.
Apply online at: