Web Editor, Columbia University School of Nursing
Full Time, New York, New York
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Web Editor is responsible for CUSON’s presence on the Internet, including its internet and intranet websites, social media sites, and the school’s representation on other relevant news and professional nursing websites. The Web Editor’s implementation of public relations and media relations, relating to non-profit brand and reputation management, will be critical to supporting the School’s mission in education, research, and leadership through the Internet The position requires working with the Office of Communication’s staff to make editorial decisions about which news items to feature, working with all departments at the school to ensure content throughout the site is clear and up-to-date, and writing and revising copy.
The position also requires technical skills that enable the Web Editor to update design features of the website, including producing and posting short videos, and the ability to produce analytic reports about website traffic.
Responsibilities also include overseeing and executing the school’s social media presence to prospective students, students, faculty, administrators, alumni, journalists, and the external nursing community. The individual must also be able to apply public relations and technical writing skills as required to meet the communication requirements of the Department.
In addition, the Web Editor will assist the Department of Communications translate best practices and emerging trends in communication to reflect the diverse and energetic activities of this preeminent school of nursing.
- Write news stories and items for posting to landing page, headlines and photo captions.
- Respond and fulfill “web requests” from all departments at the school. This involves responding to the request directly or ensuring that a colleague has fulfilled the request to draft new copy when warranted, as well as selecting and cropping photos, and creating web-based slide shows and other audio-visual elements.
- Collaborate with members of Columbia University Medical Center’s technical staff who build and maintain the website’s content management system.
- Update homepage daily to keep content fresh.
- Work with photographers to assign photo shoots, maintain photo archive, and select photos to accompany web content.
- Maintain the website’s news and event archive, with photos and appropriate links.
- Post press releases to the appropriate section of the website and link appropriately.
- Monitor the web for information pertinent to the mission of CUSON and find ways to integrate it into the products and services of CUSON’s Office of Communications.
- Post content to the monthly CUSON e-newsletter and distribute via email platform to all relevant audiences.
- Maintain and seek to improve the Office of Communication’s “Newsroom” website page.
- Oversee copy editing for all pages of the website and maintain editorial standards and consistency.
- Create design elements for the website, including banners for pages, and “callout” features.
- Produce monthly analytic reports about web traffic and usage, as well as monthly metric reports on media pick up of CUSON activities and accomplishments.
- Produce content that is engaging and appropriate for the school’s presence on all social media platforms, and maintain a social media editorial calendar.
- Engage with members of the CUSON community to contribute ideas and exchange information about the school’s academic, research, and leadership mission.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or its equivalent required.
- 3-5 years’ related experience.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Strong editorial/journalistic sensibility on what constitutes news and how to effectively convey news in terms of content and design, to our multiple audiences.
- Demonstrable interest in healthcare and role of nurses to the future of healthcare.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Superior organizational and communication skills.
- Strict adherence to deadlines.
- Self-starter: possess the ability to create new and more efficient ways to enhance CUSON’s presence on the web and contribute ideas to the goals of the Office of Communications.
- Final Cut Pro
- Full Adobe suite
To apply: Go to https://jobs.columbia.edu/ and Search Open Positions for Requisition Number 069279