organization : Fox Resources
email : email@example.com
title : Senior Science Writer
location : New York
posting : The International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) is a nonprofit scientific and charitable organization founded in 1996 whose mission is to ensure the development of safe, effective, accessible, preventive HIV vaccines for use throughout the world. IAVI\’s work focuses on four areas: accelerating scientific progress; mobilizing public support through issue advocacy and education; encouraging industrial involvement in AIDS vaccine development; and working to assure global access to a vaccine. IAVI is a young, dynamic and mission-driven organization, and the work environment is fast-paced and intellectually stimulating, relying on the good cheer and high level of cooperation of its committed members.
Job Title: Senior Science Writer
Location: New York
Reports to: IAVI Report Editor
Overview: IAVI Report, a leading source of information on worldwide efforts to develop an AIDS vaccine, seeks a science writer to complete a 5-person group within the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) in New York. IAVI is a fast-growing non-profit organization whose mission is to expedite the development of a safe and effective AIDS vaccine and to ensure that it reaches all people who need it, even in the world?s poorest regions.
IAVI Report covers the latest scientific research, as well as the political, economic, social and ethical issues associated with this fast-growing field (see www.iavireport.org). Published six times per year, it reaches over 8,000 subscribers in 130 countries and an expanding online readership, ranging from researchers and health care workers to policy makers, community advocates, and journalists.
We are looking to expand our reporting and writing capacity to include new formats for more diverse readerships, and have an immediate opening for a science writer who knows the field (or related disciplines) well and can contribute to our coverage of the latest research and related issues. There will be scope for the successful candidate to travel quite extensively, both internationally and nationally, to cover various aspects of the AIDS vaccine field specifically and the pandemic generally.
Position Summary: The Writer will produce articles and help develop story ideas for IAVI Report and other forums, including VAX.
· Write articles ranging from analytical features on research and policy trends, scientific conference reports, to interviews with important players in the field
· Contribute to special issues focusing on specific areas within AIDS vaccine development or specific regions of the world
· Travel internationally and nationally (frequency of travel negotiable) to scientific conferences, clinical trials sites, emerging epidemic sites, and policy forums
· Help develop ideas for articles and for the overall direction of the publications
· Help gather information on newly-published research papers and other developments in the field
· Work with Editor and project staff to maintain and develop the organization?s database on AIDS vaccine clinical trials
Experience and Skills:
· Excellent writing skills are a must, but prior journalism experience is not an absolute requirement
· Current scientific knowledge of the AIDS vaccine field or associated disciplines (especially immunology and/or virology) strongly preferred, with at least three years experience
· Demonstrated ability to quickly grasp what is important and convey it clearly and concisely
· Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines while maintaining parallel projects and assignments
· Excellent prior experience in conducting interviews in multicultural settings
· Previous international experience (living/study abroad) a plus
A PhD or close familiarity with the research literature (AIDS vaccine or related) is preferred, but candidates with extensive experience in an AIDS-related field will be considered.
IAVI is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from diversity candidates.
No telephone calls please.
Fox Resources, LLC