Cold Spring Harbor, NY
The editorial and research assistant provides an important service to the Chancellor of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory and Nobel Laureate, James D. Watson. Primarily, these duties consist of editing and assisting with writing and research projects, In addition the person in this position is in charge of our oral history and memory board projects that are part of the Archives.
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory http://www.cshl.edu is a world-renowned research and educational institution located on the north shore of Long Island, lying on a secluded inlet about 45 miles from New York City. The Library and Archives, located in the Carnegie Building are under the Directorship of Mila Pollock, which supports leading research scientists in molecular biology, neurobiology, cancer, genetics and bioinformatics. The Archives, created in 1972, houses the growing collection of research and historical materials, consisting of a rich repository of rare books, manuscripts, photographs, personal correspondence, and scientific reprints related to CSHL
Responsibilities and duties:
• Serves as editor and researcher for JDW’s future writings and books
• Creates PowerPoint presentations for JDW’s public lectures
• Handles photo permissions for upcoming book projects
• Conducts library research for JDW on-going projects.
• Works with library and archives staff on projects and exhibits.
• In charge of and coordinates and edits specific digital projects, which include:
The Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Oral History Collection: http://library.cshl.edu/OH/mainMovie.html
Edit interview transcripts for CSHL Oral History Collection, a project comprised of over 100 video interviews with scientists. Conduct biographical research prior to scientific interviews and write scientist bio-sketch and interview index. Communicate with scientists about transcripts. Procure permission forms from scientists for oral history interviews. Assist in grant writing. Work with oral history transcriber and video editor to complete edited DVD for archives.
The Memory Board Website: http://library.cshl.edu/memoryboard/
Moderate the Memory Board, an interactive message board documenting history of Cold Spring Harbor Lab through first-hand accounts. Retain communication with scientists, administrative departments, students and alumni to encourage the submission of stories, photos and original documents to the Memory Board.
• B.A. or B.S. in related discipline, with prior experience with writing, research or science.
• Knowledge of PowerPoint, Adobe Photoshop and Access.
• Knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style is required.
• Be a creative and focused individual with excellent writing, communication and problem-solving skills and have the ability to establish goals and priorities working with our staff and other departments of the lab.
This position will report to the Director of Libraries and Archives.
Salary & Benefits: Salary minimum is $35,000 with a generous benefits package.
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
Department of Human Resources
1 Bungtown Road, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724