Engineering Editor, Thornton Tomasetti
Full Time, New York City
We seek a skilled and fluid writer, editor and reporter, capable of turning on a dime, from writing cutlines for Web images one minute, to helping engineers and architects compose technical articles for publication in trade journals the next. Proven ability to get the story right and make it credible to the cognoscenti and compelling to the uninformed but intelligent reader. Comfortable with long-form (annual report, articles for trade publications, assistance with speech drafts and PowerPoint presentations) and with short-form writing (Web features stories and news breaks). Proven nose for news, and reporting capabilities. At ease in a technical service culture and a matrixed management environment where lines of authority may vary with assignment.
- Working with Webmaster and director of communications, lead the production and prioritization of a steady stream of content for our Internet and intranet sites, including identifying stories and case studies, reporting, conducting photo or image research, and writing.
- Develop concept and produce annual report.
- Produce letter from the president, which is circulated regularly firm-wide.
- As writer or editor, assist professional staff in preparation and placement of technical and white papers for submission to professional journals and publications.
- Provide fill-in writing (<20% of time) for marketing and HR (brochures, postcards, announcements, recruiting, and special projects).
- Educate business stakeholders and strategic groups about online and print editorial efforts, including their relationship to the firm’s business objectives.
7 years in journalism or relevant trade publication or corporate communications roles that center on print and online story development. Demonstrated understanding of a professional services firm culture and market drivers, preferably with a technical or scientific background. Comfortable working in a multicultural setting, and where priorities may shift quickly and lines of authority are fluid. Presence and poise to work with senior executives. Proven ability to negotiate and influence to develop and achieve common objectives. Proven ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and concisely. Experience working with freelance writers, artists, designers, and photographers preferred Experience with online content management a plus, including addressing issues of information architecture, workflow, and vetting. Graduate degree in journalism or technical field preferred.
Contact Jim Kent, firstname.lastname@example.org