Writer and Web Content Developer, Liberty Science Center
Full time, Jersey City, NJ
Develop and disseminate lively, informative written and electronic material that advances Liberty Science Center’s mission in a distinctive brand-aligned manner. Keep constituent groups fully informed about newsworthy developments to help reach institutional public relations, marketing, and guest services goals and other applicable goals.
Major Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Write, edit and manage production and dissemination of written materials for website, newsletters, annual reports, brochures and other communications pieces, screening submissions from other departments and external partners as needed, and coordinating design with Graphics Dept.
- Understand external and internal messaging priorities and liaison across the organization to gather information that supports these priorities, highlight them in all written materials.
- Work closely with IT and outside providers to maintain basic website pages, overseeing any necessary changes, verifying links, etc.
- Assist other Communications staff with tasks such as proofreading of draft documents, collateral material, exhibit label copy, etc.
- Learn about new developments and trends in web content management and newsletter design.
- Seek out examples of “best practices” to incorporate into Liberty Science Center’s outreach, share new trends and ideas with other staff.
- Work within assigned budgets and schedules.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum 4 years experience with a track record of writing about science-and-society matters in an engaging and creative manner for a lay audience. Must be motivated and organized, able to balance several projects simultaneously. Must be able to coordinate with multiple departments in a collegial manner and meet short deadlines. Able to accept occasional weekend or evening assignments.
Expert knowledge of Microsoft Word, Publisher and Contribute and experience with web development. Strong knowledge of and experience with HTML/PDF files. Ability to work with a variety of digital images and use a digital camera required. Candidates should be well-organized with excellent writing and speaking skills as well as an engaging phone manner. Must have a demonstrated interest in science and/or education. Candidates should also be mature, with strong, positive interpersonal skills for internal and external outreach.
B.A./B.S. degree, preferably in Science, Business Communications, Education or English.