Senior Grants Writer, International AIDS Vaccine Initiative
Full Time, NYC
The Senior Grants Writer assists the resource development department in a wide range of private sector, public sector and research grant writing, and general development writing activities.
- Creation of new grant proposals and concept papers based on organizational needs and funding priorities. The senior writer will prepare documents that lucidly and cogently explain the rationale and case for funding IAVI’s general mission, in addition to detailing specific programs and projects. The senior writer will also be responsible for writing proposals for continued funding from existing donors.
- Donor Reporting: Support the resource development department in ensuring timely and accurate reporting to grantees, including drafting of narratives and financial summaries. This requires proactive interaction with other departments to document adherence to all programmatic and fiscal reporting requirements stipulated in grants. The senior writer will be responsible for compiling information into appropriate report formats, and for drafting and editing narrative content. The senior writer will also assist in drafting materials to comply with internal reporting requirements, such as coordinating the drafting of relevant content for annual progress report, Board updates, etc.
- Assist with developing messaging and content for development-related promotional materials, including brochures, and informational packets. With the goal of reaching out to broader audiences, the senior writer will create compelling messaging that works in concert with visuals and graphics, translating IAVI’s research and scientific work for lay readers, to engage the reader’s attention in IAVI and its mission. In addition, the writer will evaluate and offer input on promotional campaigns originating from the resource development department.
- Systems: The senior writer will assist in maintaining all hard and electronic files for all donor/prospect-related communications and program-related administration, and will also assist in maintaining Development records in contact management database.
- Prospect Research & Tracking: Assist Manager, Donor Research in drafting prospect reports and profiles, and track prospects and updating prospect and donor records as needed.
- Special Projects: Assist in the preparation of briefings, Committee and Board presentations, and other events related to donors, donor prospects, Senior Management, and the Board of Directors.
Start Date: Immediate
A minimum of 5 years development writing experience in a non-profit setting; experience in a science setting with significant technical and science writing experience is required. Experience developing large restricted government and research grants is desirable. Bachelors Degree or higher required, masters preferred.
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint, and relational (SQL) database software.
- Experienced editor and proofreader capable of producing quality materials under tight deadlines, while simultaneously managing multiple projects.>/li>
- Demonstrated ability to work with cross-disciplinary teams in the proposal development and reporting processes. Attention to detail in a demanding, multi-tasking environment is critical.
- Demonstrable skill working with donor databases and systems for tracking grant expenditures and uses is also desirable.
- Confident and organized self-starter who can handle multiple tasks and responsibilities simultaneously, take initiative and is able to respond rapidly and effectively to new tasks and opportunities
Send resume, cover letter and 2 existing writing samples (published articles, thesis introduction, research proposal or summary). Please go to http://www.iavi.org and enter the International AIDS Vaccine web site. Please then click on the “Careers at IAVI” bar and enter our recruitment section. Please select the position you are interested in and apply using the web or mail to: International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) 110 William Street, 27th Floor New York, New York 10038-3901 USA
International AIDS Vaccine Initiative is an Equal Opportunity Employer.