Director of Media Relations/Press Secretary
New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation
Develop and implement targeted activities to secure positive news placements in local, ethnic and national news media outlets that communicate the corporation’s achievements in providing quality, safe, patient-centered health care. Increase public awareness of quality rankings, innovative approaches to reduce the burden of chronic diseases, improve patient safety, modernize facilities, expand healthcare access to all New Yorkers. Promote health care services available in public hospitals, health centers and long-term care facilities.
- Coordinate responses to media inquiries; serve as spokesperson when appropriate.
- Identify and package HHC success stories and pitch to appropriate print, radio, TV, industry press.
- Coordinate press conferences, briefings and events.
- Write press releases, statements, letters to editor, media alerts.
- Assist in crisis communications response.
- Work closely with marketing and internal communications/website team to develop coordinated, comprehensive communications strategies.
- Counsel and provide guidance on media strategies and press opportunities to hospital-based public affairs staff.
- Graduation from an accredited college with a baccalaureate degree in communications or journalism.
- Minimum of eight years experience in media relations and serving as spokesperson.
- Proven record of news media placements; positive relationships with press.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work quickly to meet demands of news cycle; work flexible hours, manage multiple projects, meet deadlines.
- Ability to translate health industry concepts into lucid, concise messages for the media and public.
- Knowledge of New York City media market and health industry outlets.
- Prior professional experience in healthcare or nonprofit environment, knowledge of health industry policy and politics is helpful.
- Spanish-language proficiency desirable.
Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume, writing samples and news placements to: Ana Marengo Senior Assistant Vice President Corporate Communications and Marketing 125 Worth Street, Room 508 New York, NY 10013 firstname.lastname@example.org
HHC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information about HHC, visit www.nyc.gov/hhc.