Medical Writer, Content Manager, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Full Time, White Plains, NY 10605
Patient Services Content Manager
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is the world’s largest voluntary health organization dedicated to funding blood cancer research, education and patient services. The Society’s mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. Since its founding in 1949, the Society has invested more than $424 million for research specifically targeting blood cancers.
As a Patient Services Content Manager, you will write, copyedit or proof information and materials about The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society programs and leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma, and other blood cancers. Work with National Director, Public Education disease programs, Information Resource Center and patient services senior staff to edit and develop new (or revise existing) materials that educate patients, professionals, and the general public about research and treatment advances. Coordinate and support yearly patient services content development calendar with supervisor, Director of Public Education and other appropriate patient services staff. This position includes oversight of the consistency and accuracy of all disease specific and patient services content within all LLS mediums, venues and formats.
- Web content: Working with Director of Public Education, Information Resource Center and Information Technology staff develops new and updates existing web site content for disease information and patient services web pages and features. 35%
- Public Education Materials: As assigned, write and/or copyedit or proof Society public education materials. Write copy when necessary or work with primary authors including executive staff, Society volunteers and manage writing consultants when needed. Work with Society Creative Services, production staff and vendors when necessary to publish LLS public education materials. 35%
- Chapter Staff Liaison: Work directly with chapter staff to respond to inquiries regarding the society’s publications and inquiries regarding disease specific statistics. 5%
- Facts Books: Working with contacts from the National Cancer Institute, Cancer Statistics Branch, the Centers for Disease Control and the American Cancer Society develop yearly book of leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma statistics. 10%
- Special Project Materials Development: Working with internal project
manager(s) and outside vendors write, copyedit or proof collateral patient education materials to support national teleconference, Web cast or other Web education programs. 10%
- Media Relations: Work with Marketing and Communications Department to provide statistics, contacts, and material for media contacts. 5%
- Masters in the field of medical communications, public health, or other scientific discipline with 5-7 years related public health communications experience.
- Thorough knowledge of medical terminology and cancer research and treatment with knowledge of cancer statistics and epidemiology.
- Specific knowledge and experience in the field of hematology oncology either in a communications capacity or as a healthcare professional
- Proven experience in writing accurate content about complicated medical topics in a public-friendly style and format -low literate publication development a plus
- Detail oriented and able to carry multiple projects from inception to completion.
- Knowledge of Web site content tools and production.
- Ability to organize projects, develop and adhere to project priorities and timelines.
- The ability to work with others in a wide variety of disciplines, e.g., vendors, program staff, patients, donors, volunteers.
- Ability and willingness to copyedit & proof medical information and materials written by other staff or outside consultants
Please send us your resume with cover letter and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Writer 3/08” in the subject line.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
1311 Mamaroneck Ave.
White Plains, NY 10605