Sr. Tech Writer/Editor, IMC, Inc.
Full-Time, Rockville, Maryland
- Develop and carry out NIMH communications through the news media, including routine dissemination of institute research findings and targeted communications efforts to reach specific audiences.
- Act as liaison and maintain media relations with stakeholders, scientists, and internal publication staff in the office of the Associate Director for Communications and Public Liaison, NIH/OD.
- Serve as a senior technical writer and editor on neuroscience topics on assignments including but not limited to press releases, reports, and other information products such as publications.
- Respond to press inquiries from the media, lay and professional publics, and specialized groups, providing information, access to Institute staff, or referrals to federal and outside agencies, as appropriate.
- Select, design, and implement appropriate communication vehicles for news releases and health promotion packages on Institute science.
- Ph.D. or M.D. degree or equivalent experience in related scientific/biomedical field. M.A./M.S. may be acceptable with eight (8) years of additional experience.
- Substantial knowledge of technical or scientific subject matter (neuroscience fields),terminology, and methodology and skill in developing written materials to convey information concerning complex programs and functions to publics having diverse levels of understanding of the NIMH\’s programs and activities.
- Ability to oversee the synthesis of findings and implications of multiple research projects and/or project areas to ensure that conclusions are accurate, appropriate for the target audiences, and meet their needs.
- Ability to interpret research results and creatively develop scientific or technical products that articulate, interpret, and explain highly technical, potentially controversial, and important agency policies, programs, and research findings.
- A broad and deep substantive knowledge of various fields of mental health research.