Science Writer (experienced)
Department of Public Affairs and Communications
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Freelance, The Bronx
Expanding public affairs and communications department at Albert Einstein College of Medicine seeks an experienced freelance science writer to join our team. The ideal candidate will be skilled at distilling complex scientific material into creative, understandable copy. Must have a thorough understanding of basic science and thoroughly enjoy and excel at writing for lay and technical audiences. Ability to work under tight daily deadlines is critical.
– Six to eight years experience writing about science and medicine for newspapers, magazines, web or educational and research institutions.
– B.S. in biology or other basic science discipline. M.S. or Ph.D. preferred. (Please do not apply unless you have this background.)
– Ability to make complex scientific issues understandable to a lay audience while preserving accuracy and context.
– Thorough knowledge of how basic science translates into clinical medicine.
– Proven interviewing skills. Ability to interact comfortably with scientists.
– Adept at interpreting scientific findings and developing relevant stories for media.
– Ability to write tightly-worded press releases for lay and science audiences.
– Comfortable working in a quick-paced “newsroom”-like environment.
– Responsible for interviewing key Einstein faculty members and researchers, discussing both basic and translational science.
– Collaborate with a team to produce web and print releases on quick turnaround.
– Write news items and feature stories for Einstein publications.
– Work weekdays onsite during October, November and December 2008. (Position might be extended into 2009.)
Albert Einstein College of Medicine is located in the Morris Park section of the Bronx. Express bus service leaves from Manhattan’s East Side and takes 30 minutes to the college campus. The college is also reachable on the 2 and 5 subway lines, after a short 10-minunte bus ride from the train station at East 180th Street.
Interested and qualified parties, please forward cover letter and resume to email@example.com with subject line “freelance science writer.”