Director of Public Affairs, American Psychoanalytic Association
Full time, New York, NY
The American Psychoanalytic Association (APsaA), the oldest national
psychoanalytic organization in the nation, was founded in 1911. APsaA,
as a professional organization for psychoanalysts, focuses on
education, research and membership development. In addition to the
national organization’s membership of 3,400, the organization also
includes 29 accredited training institutes and 42 affiliate societies
throughout the United States. The American Psychoanalytic Association
is an equal opportunity employer.
The overall responsibility for the Director of Public Affairs is to
develop and implement communications programs that effectively
describe and promote psychoanalysis, APsaA, and its members.
The Director of Public Affairs is responsible for three major
functional areas/projects: general marketing and communications for
the Association; all media relations for the Association; and
strategizing, developing, and implementing both external and internal
public relations programs and communications (including graphics
communications) that enhance the visibility and promote the value of
The Director serves as the staff liaison to the association’s
Committee on Public Information and is responsible for the
department’s budget. The Director is also responsible for content of
relevant web pages on the Association’s website.
Some travel and public speaking is required.
• Excellent computer skills: knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook.
• Website content management system experience a plus.
• Knowledge of “newer” communications media such as social networking, podcasts, RSS feeds, distance learning.
• Knowledge of professional associations and skilled at working with individual members, volunteer leaders, and local affiliates.
• Excellent communicator, both written and verbal.
• Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment essential.
• Ability to produce error-free professional documents.
• Able to develop strong working relationships.
• Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team.
• Accomplished at media placements and relationships with the press.
Please forward your cover letter including salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.