Production Editor, onearth.org
Freelance, New York City
Some of the best environmental journalists on the planet write for NRDC’s OnEarth magazine. Over the past year, our website at www.onearth.org has grown tremendously, as well. We plan to keep expanding our online offerings and are set to unveil an extensive redesign later this summer. We’re looking for a consultant to serve as production editor.
Responsibilities may include:
• Posting stories to the website through our Drupal-based content management system.
• Copy editing and fact checking online stories before publication.
• Writing headlines and display type, selecting and cropping photos, deciding story placement, and otherwise ensuring the quality and timeliness of our homepage and other key aspects of onearth.org.
• Editing and production of audio slideshows, videos, photo galleries, and other multimedia features, and promoting onearth.org content through social media.
• Other responsibilities as appropriate.
• Knowledge of web standards and tools including HTML/CSS, Photoshop, and Final Cut Pro or other video editing software.
Familiarity with both Mac and PC preferred.
• Experience using a content management system for production of a news website or blog.
• Excellent news judgment, editing skills, attention to detail, knowledge of AP style, and demonstrated interest in science and environmental reporting.
• Flexible hours and ability to work remotely while also being able to visit our midtown Manhattan offices occasionally for meetings with editors.
This consultancy will be based on an hourly wage. Hours may vary between approximately 50 and 100 hours a month based on a quarterly production schedule. As a consultant, you will not receive NRDC employee benefits, and you will be responsible for your own tax withholdings. NRDC will not supply you with any equipment.
Contact online editor Scott Dodd at email@example.com (no phone calls, please) with “production editor” in the subject line. Include your resume, hourly wage requirements, and at least three samples of your work (links or attachments acceptable). Please mention that you saw this posting at SWINY.