Science Writer/Editor, Diabetes Research Foundation International (JDRF)
Full Time, New York , NY (Manhattan)
JDRF is currently seeking a Science Writer/ Editor to join our Marketing Communication team in New York City.
S/he will work closely with Research as well as other JDRF departments, chapters and volunteers in order to write or provide editorial services that support JDRF’s efforts to find better treatments and a cure for type 1 diabetes. S/he will gain and maintain a full understanding of JDRF’s research strategy and translate our scientific activities and successes so that they are easily understandable to a lay audience. S/he will write/edit for a number of publications, including Countdown Online magazine, the JDRF Annual Report, JDRF’s online and print newsletters. S/he will draft materials to support JDRF’s Development operation, including letters, reports, brochures, speeches, and training materials.
• Work with research and communications staff to report on the work of JDRF-funded (and all type 1-focused) research in a wide variety of publications, including electronic newsletters, Countdown Online magazine, the chapter newsletter, and the JDRF Annual Report. Write and edit research features for the JDRF website and other online communications vehicles.
• Assist in managing the production of JDRF’s publications, both print and online, working closely with the Creative Services team.
• Plan and write/edit research-oriented fundraising and marketing materials, including: the Top Research Highlights report, research progress reports for both a general audience as well as specific donors, brochures, special reports on research conferences and meetings, and other assignments as required.
• Participate in the development of new and evolving communications programs.
• Assist in editing and writing non-research-related materials produced by the Marketing and Communications department, including scripts and printed materials required for JDRF’s major events, such as Annual Conference, Children’s Congress, and Fall Leadership Conference.
• Provide counsel to assist other areas in the department, such as Media Relations and Public Information, to understand and effectively communicate research information.
• Organize materials and complete writing assignments according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required. Further education a plus.
• Minimum 10 years experience as a science or development writer, with proven abilities as a researcher, interviewer, editor, and synthesizer of complex material, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language, including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
• Understanding of media production, communication, and dissemination methods, such as alternative ways to inform via written, oral, and visual media.
• Experience with various computer systems and databases. Proficient in Microsoft Office.
• Developing and preparing presentations, reports, and business correspondence.
JDRF is the worldwide leader for research to cure type 1 diabetes. It sets the global agenda for diabetes research, and is the largest charitable funder and advocate of diabetes science worldwide. The mission of JDRF is to find a cure for diabetes and its complications through the support of research. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that strikes children and adults suddenly, and can be fatal or lead to devastating complications. Since its founding in 1970 by parents of children with type 1 diabetes, JDRF has awarded more than $1.4 billion to diabetes research, including $101 million in FY2009. In FY2009, JDRF funded research projects in 22 countries throughout the world, including more than 40 human clinical trials.
JDRF offers competitive salaries and a full array of benefits including paid time off (vacation, holiday and sick), medical and dental insurance, flexible spending accounts (FSA), a maternity benefit program, and a retirement plan as well as a business casual work environment.
If you’d like to join our team, please send your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “SWE” in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for the responses to this advertisement.
However, we regret that we will be able to contact only select candidates.
JDRF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.