Professional Writer, Vestergaard Frandsen
Full Time, New York
Vestergaard Frandsen is a rapidly growing company specialized in complex emergency response and disease-control textiles. We are guided by a unique Humanitarian Entrepreneurship business model, the “profit for a purpose” approach that has turned humanitarian responsibility into our core business.
Our innovative products and concepts include PermaNet® long-lasting insecticide-treated mosquito bed nets and curtains, ZeroFly® insecticide-incorporated plastic sheeting, and LifeStraw® water filters. Vestergaard Frandsen’s newest offering, CarePack®, provides a set of evidence-based preventative interventions to improve the health and lives of HIV positive individuals. These tools are all specifically designed to prevent the waterborne, vector-borne and neglected tropical diseases which disproportionately affect the developing world.
With headquarters in Switzerland and branch offices in the USA, UAE, India, Ghana, Nigeria, Vietnam, Kenya South Africa and Indonesia,, and licensed production in Vietnam and Thailand., Vestergaard Frandsen is able to provide a rapid response to complex emergencies and disease outbreaks. We work in tandem with the United Nations, Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs), National Ministries of Health, charitable organisations and commercial distributors, to ensure our lifesaving innovations reach those most in need.
Professional Writer – New York
As our new Professional Writer you will report to the Communications and Public Relations Director and you will be based in New York. The Writer position is a newly created job that aims at adding clarity and focus to the Communications department and the larger company’s internal and external communications efforts. The Writer will be overall responsible for writing and editing various documents for the senior management teams across the world.
As our new Professional Writer, you:
– Are able to write and edit copy for wide range of audiences
– Have excellent verbal and written communications skills
– Have strong planning, prioritization and organizational skills including the ability to work on many simultaneous projects in a constant changing environment
– Are able to work on tight deadlines
– Are flexible to travel on short notice to international destinations and occasionally work in challenging environments
– Are able to research and glean usable market intelligence online and offline
– Can think outside of the box and apply creative ideas to department communications efforts
– Are expert in Microsoft software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), familiar with statistical analysis software, and comfortable using internet and web communications applications
– Are able to learn quickly and understand a complex working environment. Fluent in spoken and written English (mandatory)
– Have thorough appreciation of cultural diversity and sensitivity toward target populations
– Have a Bachelors degree in journalism, creative writing, English, public communications, or similar with background in science, policy, health, or medical issues
– Have three to five years experience writing wide range of copy products including articles, speeches, op/eds, press releases, award applications, pitch letters to news media, etc
– Have experience writing (and rewriting) for the web using best practices in search engine optimization
– Have political or public policy writing experience including letters to Members of Congress or other high-ranking government officials and offices
– Have experience working with donors, NGOs, FBOs or government agencies, especially in the aid and development or public health sectors preferable
– Have experience in working with senior leadership from various geographical and cultural backgrounds
– Have experience in marketing and advertising desired
Your responsibilities will include:
– Oversee development of annual corporate social responsibility report and Communication on Progress to United Nation’s Global Compact
– Write web-ready unique and inspirational content for our website
– Write various projects on behalf of the CEO (speeches, opinion articles for external newspapers and magazines, internal all staff memos, etc…)
– Complete and monitor award applications for company and leadership
– Write press releases for company, products and leadership
– Assist in writing and editing corporate product brochures and publications and internal documents
– Create corporate style guide and ensure brand and messaging continuity across all external documents
– Research background on customers, competitors, and partners to inform the department’s activities
– Update social media presence and website when New Media Specialist is away
– Assist HR in development of content for intranet and other internal communications
If you possess the above qualifications and the drive to meet the challenges, please send your cover letter to jobs-US@vestergaard-frandsen.com enclosing your CV, a day-time telephone contact, names and contacts of three referees no later than the end of February 2011. We will only respond to electronic application and to shortlisted applicants; please do not call.