Science Writer / Sr. Public Affairs Representative (A6) (RM4965)
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a nonprofit research and development institution whose purpose is to advance ideas and knowledge through a multidisciplinary program of basic and applied research. The Community, Education, Government and Public Affairs Directorate currently has a full-time opportunity for a Science Writer / Senior Public Affairs Representative.
The Community, Education, Government and Public Affairs (CEGPA) Directorate develops best-in-class communications, science education, government relations, and community involvement programs that advance the science and science education missions of the Laboratory, contribute to public understanding of science, enhance the value of the Lab as a community asset, and ensure that Laboratory internal and external stakeholders are properly informed and have a voice in Lab decisions of interest and importance to them.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Working with scientists and managers to identify newsworthy events, accomplishments, and developments throughout the Laboratory; writing content for the Lab’s print, web, and social media outlets to communicate science research advances; distributing news releases and pitching story ideas to local and national media; responding to media inquiries; cultivating relationships with key science reporters, bloggers, and editors; and coordinating social media content.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, science, or a related field and four years of science-writing or related experience
• Excellent communications skills are essential, including interviewing, writing, and reporting
• Proven ability to communicate complex issues to a general audience
• Ability to simultaneously develop multiple projects and meet deadlines
• Ability to write for traditional, new, and social media
• Must be detail-oriented, organized, self-motivated, and able to operate effectively under pressure.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Master’s degree in science writing.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
• Medical Plans
• Dental Plans
• Life Insurance
• 401(k) Plan
• Retirement Plan
• On site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, apply online at www.bnl.gov and click Jobs, then click Search Job List and apply to job # 15864.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce.