Managing Editor, Metanexus
Metanexus is seeking a managing editor to supervise all aspects of its online publication Metanexus.net. Metanexus promotes the concept of Big History—the epic scientific narrative of our universe and existence—as the best context for addressing the big problems of the 21st century and debating the big questions of philosophy, politics, and religion. Metanexus is a small nonprofit organization with great ambitions. The position is based in New York City.
Key Responsibilities include:
• Solicit, cultivate, and communicate with writers and bloggers
• Conceptualize feature article ideas
• Edit articles for publication
• Post essays online with appropriate images
• Aggregate content from other websites
• Update events calendar
• Select featured content and produce weekly email updates
• Manage social networks (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn)
• Respond to queries from readers and potential contributors
• Assist team in developing program for the One-Day Universe, a daylong science marathon in September 2013
• Supervise subcontractors and consultants
• Network at New York City events relevant to Metanexus in consultation with executive director
• Undergraduate or advanced degree in journalism or a related field
• Excellent writing and editing skills
• Excellent computer skills
• Sophisticated understanding of science as it relates to global affairs and contemporary debates
• Web design and content development experience
• Marketing experience
• Familiarity with Drupal, Constant Contact, Salesforce, and Photoshop is a plus
This is a salaried position at $50,000 per year for a two-year commitment. Benefits include four weeks paid vacation with the offer of a significant performance bonus after the One-Day Universe event in 2013. Metanexus is not able to provide medical benefits at this time, but will contribute up to $300 per month for your independent coverage. This is an entrepreneurial position with the possibility of advancement. The position starts in August 2012 at the latest.
Please send your resume and cover letter to William Grassie firstname.lastname@example.org.