Writer/Editor, NYC Dept of Health and Mental Hygiene
Full time, Long Island City
The Bureau of Communications is seeking an experienced writer/editor to join its Publications Group.
The Publications Group
The Publications Group aims to improve the quality, consistency and reach of all Agency publications by providing the following publishing and related services to Department programs:
Professional editorial design, direction, and management; assistance with all printing, publishing, and related services, including writing, editing, copyediting, graphic design, print production, marketing, mailing, and distribution through 311 and the Department’s centralized literature fulfillment system; Agency-wide assistance to coordinate scheduling of key Department publications, public-education advertising and Detailing campaigns, press initiatives, and promotional and other special health events, in order to leverage and maximize the reach and the impact of all Department communications; guidance on Agency-wide standards of excellence for style, usage, presentation, and literacy levels of all Department publications.
The Writer/Editor will:
- Research, analyze, develop, write and edit publications on important public health issues for the general public, medical professionals and other public health stakeholders. Publications include brochures, fact sheets, reports, and other publications, as needed.
- Collaborate with agency programs to develop publications
- Ensure that publications are consistent with agency mission, policies, and goals
- Tailor publications to varying literacy levels of target audiences, as needed
- Ensure that all publications meet standards of editorial excellence.
- Write, edit, and revise Health Bulletins
- Collaborate with agency programs to develop concepts, themes, and approaches for Health Bulletins
- Ensure that Health Bulletins are consistent with agency mission, policies, and goals
- Ensure that Health Bulletins meet standards of editorial excellence and are written at appropriate literacy level
- Project Management: manage editorial projects from inception to completion. Set schedules and manage production, including design, translation, printing, and distribution.
- Manage production with designers, printers, in-house and vendor translators, and others
- Solve production problems
- Meet production deadlines and delivers quality products
- Ensure that budgets are not exceeded
- Excellent judgment, editing, writing and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate complex messages clearly and simply to highly diverse New York City audiences.
- Ability to provide consultation and technical assistance to programs.
- Ability to work quickly and meet tight deadlines
- Capacity to work independently as well as part of a team
- A Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college with 24 credits in English, journalism or public relations, plus five (5) years of full-time paid experience in public relations, journalism or advertising, including two (2) years in an administrative, supervisory or consultative capacity; or
- A combination of education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” above.
Graduate study in English, journalism, or public relations may be substituted for up to one year of required experience. However, all candidates must have at least two (2) years of administrative, supervisory, or consultative experience in public relations, journalism or advertising.
DOHMH is an Equal Opportunity Employer