Editor, International AIDS Vaccine Initiative
Full time, NY, New York
This position offers an excellent opportunity to help design and lead the future course of IAVI’s two editorially independent and highly respected publications, IAVI Report and VAX, that have more than doubled their respective readerships in recent years. The next stage will further enhance the relevance, attractiveness and accessibility of these publications, with a priority on enhancing their online and social media presence and extending their readership in regions most impacted by HIV/AIDS.
IAVI Report provides scientists around the world with comprehensive coverage of the latest results and trends in the research and development of AIDS vaccines, other new prevention technologies and other relevant research areas, as well as political, economic, social and ethical issues that impact the field. IAVI Report is published four times a year and currently has more than 16,000 subscribers.
VAX shares and analyzes the latest scientific information, trends and gaps in AIDS vaccine and related research, as well as political, economic, social and ethical issues for a broader audience that includes advocates, policy-makers, community leaders and clinical trial volunteers. VAX is published six times a year and has more than
The Editor will lead the further development of the identity and direction of the print and online presences of both publications.
She/he will also develop and maintain a pool of accomplished freelancers; ensure the entire planning; oversee design and production, and write and edit content. The Editor reports to the Executive Director of Advocacy, Policy and Communications.
- Develop and manage the overall direction, planning, and creation of print and online content of IAVI Report and VAX
- Develop and maintain a network of key sources of relevant news, results, trends and content
- Write long- and short-form content for print and online publication ranging from conference reports to spot and feature news stories and interviews
- Develop, assign and manage a group of freelance writers and review/edit their work
- Oversee design and production (by production manager)
- Travel nationally and internationally to scientific, advocacy and policy conferences; clinical trial sites; emerging epidemic sites, and other locations as required
- Undertake other duties as required
Scope and Influence
Independently performs activities that contribute to the achievement of team goals and objects
- Manages own work volume and priorities as defined in annual objectives and work plans
- Independently resolves issues to achieve department goals
- May provide guidance to others (internal and external)
- Works across teams and departments • External contacts to network
- Strong scientific background and understanding; advanced degree in a natural science field is strongly preferred
- Strong writer and editor with a proven track record of producing high-quality material for print and online distribution
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience or equivalent
- Strong network of contacts that will be useful in performing this role
- Ability to remain constantly up-to-date on this field
- Can quickly translate complex and technical content into compelling prose accessible to a wide range of audiences, in particular scientists, and a wide range of vehicles from a printed magazine to websites to social media posts
- Keen eye for accuracy and attention to detail
- Creative and strategic thinker; organized self-starter who works well on his/her own and on a team, with a sense of perspective and humor
- Strong organizer with proven ability to multi-task and work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Excellent communicator in multifunctional and multicultural matrix, good listener while being assertive with internal and external experts and executives
- Commitment to IAVI’s mission