Writer, International AIDS Vaccine Initiative
Full time, NY, New York
This position reflects IAVI’s dual role to advance the development of an AIDS vaccine both directly and as an engine for the wider field of AIDS vaccine research and development. As such, the Writer will create and copyedit content for (approximately 50:50 split in time and tasks):
- IAVI Report and VAX, IAVI’s editorially independent and highly regarded publications that have more than doubled their respective readerships in recent years.
- IAVI Global Communications
IAVI Report provides scientists around the world with comprehensive coverage of the latest results and trends in the research and development of AIDS vaccines, other new prevention technologies and other relevant research areas, as well as political, economic, social and ethical issues that impact the field. IAVI Report is issued four times a year and currently has more than 16,000 subscribers.
VAX shares and analyzes the latest scientific information, trends and gaps in AIDS vaccine and related research, as well as political, economic, social and ethical issues, for a broader audience that includes advocates, policy-makers, community leaders and clinical trial volunteers. VAX is published six times a year and has more than 4,000 subscribers.
The Writer will have the opportunity to contribute to enhancing the relevance, attractiveness and accessibility of these publications, with a priority on enhancing their online and social media presence and extending their readership in regions most impacted by HIV/AIDS.
IAVI’s newly created Global Communications team provides strategic and tactical support to IAVI’s global research and development, advocacy and policy, and resource mobilization teams, as well as the CEO. The Writer helps identify, craft and edit a range of content aligned with strategic priorities and messages for internal and external Communications vehicles and tools including FAQs, statements, op-eds, web and social media content. The Writer reports to the Executive Director, Advocacy, Policy and Communications, and works closely with the Editor of IAVI Report/VAX and the Director of Global Communications.
- Develop/maintain a network of key sources of relevant news, results, trends and content for IAVI Report and VAX
- Develop and write short- and long-rom news stories and features for print and online publication in IAVI Report/VAX
- Develop and write case studies, op-eds, press releases/statements, FAQs, briefing documents, donor reports, brochures/fact sheets, etc., for IAVI Global Communications
- Travel nationally and internationally to scientific, clinical trial sites, emerging epidemic sites, and other relevant conferences, forums or sites as required
- Copyedit and proofread others’ content as required
- Undertake other duties as required
Scope and Influence
Independently performs activities that contribute to the achievement of team goals and objects
- Manages own work volume and priorities as defined in annual objectives and work plans
- Independently resolves issues to achieve department goals
- May provide guidance to others (internal and external)
- Works across teams and departments
- External contacts to network
- Strong scientific understanding and affinity, advanced degree in a natural science field is a plus
- Ability to remain constantly up-to-date with news from the world of vaccine R&D
- Strong network of contacts/sources useful in performing this role
- Strong writer with a proven track record of producing high-quality material for print and online distribution for scientific and lay audiences
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience
- Can quickly translate complex and technical subject matter into compelling content for a wide range of audiences and vehicles from a printed magazine to websites to social media posts
- Keen eye for accuracy and attention to detail
- Creative and strategic thinker; self-starter able to work independently and as part of a team, with a sense of humor and perspective
- Well-organized with proven ability to multi-task and work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Excellent communicator in multifunctional and multicultural matrix; good listener comfortable and capable of asserting own views when necessary
- Commitment to IAVI’s mission