Job Title: Communications Coordinator
Employer: California Sea Grant
Location: La Jolla, CA
California Sea Grant (CASG) is seeking a dynamic communications professional to help tell the story of our outstanding marine research, extension and education programs. Our activities support the management, conservation and enhancement of California’s coastal ocean resources for the benefit of current and future generations.
The primary mission of CASG’s Communications Program is to help promote CASG’s professional scientists and capabilities, and communicate the accomplishments, activities and opportunities of CASG, its funded researchers and partners.
Reporting to the CASG Director, the Communications Coordinator will lead CASG’s small Communications team and serve as the program’s primary science writer.
The Communications Coordinator will identify, conceptualize and write stories about complex marine science research and outreach programs led by our Extension Specialists and other researchers funded by Sea Grant (more than 70 projects per year), provide scientific information and technical materials via publication, and ensure that all written (and other) materials are factually and scientifically accurate and written appropriately for targeted audiences.
The position is 100%-time with full benefits, and the employee will be based in La Jolla, California at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, which hosts CASG. Salary will be commensurate with experience but is expected to fall in the range of $65,000 – $85,000 annually.
- Knowledge of all aspects of communications, including strategic planning for various media venues, technical aspects and requirements of various venues, and most appropriate and effective applications.
- Knowledge and understanding of technical applications to effectively direct technical staff, or personally perform technical work, including design concepts, various media, and applications.
- Knowledge of the organization, its achievements, mission, vision, goals, policies, practices, infrastructure, and a strong knowledge of current affairs, and issues in higher education and/or health sciences.
- Solid skills to create, develop, and implement comprehensive long and short term strategic communications plans.
- Knowledge and skills to advise and consult with management to ensure delivery of the desired message to the target and / or broad general audiences.
- Solid written, verbal, interpersonal communications, active listening and political acumen skills.
- Knowledge of location protocols and channels for communication internally and externally.
- Strong general knowledge of science, the scientific method and familiarity with marine science.
- Ability to read, comprehend and interpret scientific publications and reports and from them write articles, newsletters and project summaries for communication to other technical and educated-lay audiences.
- Ability to interact comfortably and professionally with faculty, university administration, government scientists and agency representatives, and media.
- Demonstrated ability to identify opportunities for various components of the program to have positive interactions with key program audiences and assist the Sea Grant director, Extension director, and other Sea Grant personnel with communications and public relations activities with key audiences at the state, regional and national levels
- Ability to adapt to interruptions and a fluctuating workload. Ability to organize work and prioritize tasks to meet established and variable deadlines. Ability to work independently; use good judgment and make decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality in all matters.
How to Apply
Candidates may be requested to provide work samples of recent articles, news releases, project summaries, or web articles which illustrate the ability to write about science for public or non-expert technical audiences.
For full details of the position and to apply, visit https://jobs.ucsd.edu/bulletin/job.aspx?jobnum_in=86037
Questions? Contact James E. Eckman at firstname.lastname@example.org.